Sunday, June 28, 2009

Concesion forzada en Honduras

As I´m writing this, an imposed 48h curfew is in effect. My plan early this morning was to take a shuttle to Copan (just inside the border to Honduras) and then take the next "chicken bus" to La Ceiba and on to Utilla. When I arrive in Copan the power is out and all transit is at a standstill. The first hostel I find is closed "because of the president" and I´m advised by the hostess to turn back were I came from. The next hostel is open. During the day I slowly gather information about the situation, first from other travellers, and later as the government turns the power back on, from CNN in spanish.

The situation in brief is that President Manuel Zelaya tried to pass a referendum that would abolish presidential terms. This led to the army arresting him early this morning and sending him to Costa Rica, from where he continues to protest. Shortly after the president of the parliament, Roberto Michelleti, is sworn in as the new president of the state. Edit: I heard that the two presidents are supposed to meet on thursday and discuss the situation.

So at the moment there are two presidents of Honduras, transit is stopped and the curfew starts at 8pm for the next 2 or 3 nights. I´m biding my time here in Copan along with other backpackers. I´m happy I didn´t get any further into Honduras before the standstill, this is a relatively safe small town. People here discuss the subject but don´t seem too upset. In my selfishness I´m hoping things will calm down soon so I can go diving in Utilla. That said I do hope the change here will be for the better for Hondurians, not myself knowing the political situation.

Added Tuesday 30 June:

So far there is no change in the situation. Four german backpackers left this morning to try for La ceiba at the caribean coast despite rumors of roadblocks. Me and an Estonian guy called Marko, whom I met at the hostel here in Copan, will propably try for the same tomorrow. My time is running short if I want to see Nicaragua later. Yesterday a man checked in late in the evening and told us he had come from La Ceiba. His bus was stopped at a roadblock and he had to take eight different rides, taxis and hitchiking, to get here to Copan. So far I haven't heard about any harassment of bystanders though. The last thing I heard just now is that the roads will be closed for 48 hours. As the situation seems to be prevailing I don't see how waiting much more would help.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers